December 6, 2014
(5 guinea pigs & 1 prairie dog)
Dogs and Cats Saved From Entering The Shelter System
Low Cost Vaccination Clinic
for Cats and Dogs
Saturday, October 25th
By Appointment Only
Please call the clinic for an appointment at 1-630-800-2254.
See our Services page for details.
Donate to our
Prevent A Litter Fund
Attention Rabbit Caregivers
Our next low-cost Rabbit Spay/Neuter clinic is:
Monday, November 10th
Call for an appointment 630-800-2254
Reasons to spay/neuter your rabbit:
- Prevent dangerous uterine and testicular cancer
- Prevent unwanted litters
- Prevent urine spraying
- Reduce aggressive behavior
For more reasons, see our Fix'n Facts page.
12 Pet Safety Tips for the Holidays
Here are some tips to help keep your pets safe this holiday season
- Clean up Christmas tree needles regularly as they can be sharp and easily get stuck in your pet's paws or throat.
- Keep tinsel and ribbon away from pets. because it can become stuck in the intestine and cause serious illness.
- Your pets may see glass ornaments as potential play things. Try using unbreakable decorations and nothing too small.
- Keep poisonous plants like holly, mistletoe, amaryllis and especially lilies away from cats. If ingested, they can cause kidney failure. Poinsettias are rarely poisonous and usually only causes mild mouth or stomach irritation if ingested.
- Chocolate is toxic to almost all animals as it contains a substance called theobromine--the higher the cocoa content, the more toxic the chocolate. For dogs, eating xylitol results in a spike in insulin, causing a severe low blood sugar (e.g., hypoglycemia) and potential liver failure
- Other food dangers include espresso coffee beans which can contain a potentially fatal amount of caffeine, macadamia nuts which can result in temporary paralysis, and raisins which can result in acute kidney failure. Also, don't give your pets the skin or bones of leftover turkey. The skin is too rich for their digestion and can result in pancreatitis whereas the bones can splinter and damage their digestive tract.
- Protect electrical cords and flashing tree lights so your pets can't chew them and electrocute themselves.
- Make sure your tree is well anchored so your pets can't pull it over. You may need to use some fishing line to secure the tree to the ceiling, especially if you have a cat that likes climbing trees. Also, keep the water for the tree covered. It can contain secretions and possibly fertilizers that can cause your furry friend to have a gastrointestinal upset.
- Remember, loud noises such as fireworks, Christmas crackers, poppers, balloons and champagne bottles can panic your pet.
- Remove Christmas wrapping paper, bows, and ribbons from the floor to avoid your pet chewing and swallowing it.
- Make sure your pet is micro-chipped and wearing a collar with their name and a contact number in case they get lost.
- Finally, please remember that a pet is for life. Never give pets as surprise Christmas presents.
Oh, and save the cookies and milk for Santa.